If you’re new to vaping, all of the technology, jargon and wide range of variables (devices, e-juices, etc.) can be pretty daunting, to say the least. Don’t worry; it’s completely normal, and most vape users have experienced this at some point in time.
Regardless of how serious you are about vaping, it’s always a good idea to familiarise yourself with the basic equipment — two of the most common being vape pens and vape mods. But what on earth are they, and how do they differ?
To help you out, we’ve put together this simple yet informative guide to learn what’s the difference between a vape pen and a mod.
What are Vape Pens?
Vape pens sometimes referred to as e-cigarettes, are electronic devices that are a hugely popular alternative to smoking and have helped many people successfully kick the habit. They work by heating liquid that contains nicotine and flavourings. This produces a vapour which the user inhales and exhales to get the nicotine hit needed to satisfy their needs and prevent cravings. As there is no tobacco being burned and inhaled, it has proved to be a go-to, less harmful solution for smokers and people attempting to quit.
Although vape pens come in many different shapes, sizes, models and brands — overall, they follow a similar blueprint. Most vape pens consist of a vape battery, heating system, a mouthpiece and storage space to insert e-liquid.
What are Mods?
Vaping devices such as box mods are big, bulkier and more advanced when compared to a regular vape pen. While the fundamental system remains the same — heating e-liquid to create vapour — mods are enhanced or modified (where ‘mod’ comes from) to add more advanced features.
The advanced features we speak of come in many different forms and allow users to customise or ‘modify’ their vaping device to suit their needs. Examples include better batteries, more powerful heating mechanisms, or even a larger refill container for e-liquid called a vape tank. These modifications are generally not available for vape pens as they tend to be simpler and use out-of-the-box devices.
What’s the difference between a vape pen and mod?
Although vape pens and mods have the same purpose and basic mechanism, they vary significantly in a few crucial ways. So if you’re wondering what’s the difference between a vape pen and a mod, you should consider the following.
- Size: Vape pens are much smaller and discrete devices designed to be comfortable to hold and easily stored. Box mods are larger, bulkier and more robust devices. Sometimes less portable too. While these may sound like disadvantages, seasoned vapers prefer mods due to the enhanced taste, experience, and enormous vapour clouds.
- Complexity: People love vape pens because they are a simple and efficient way to get a nicotine hit. They require minimal know-how or experience to use and still can satisfy your needs. Vape pens do have fewer customisation options, but the key appeal of these devices is often convenience. Box mods have a wide range of features that can be implemented to offer a more unique experience that perfectly suits your needs — such as temperature, wattage and voltage.
- Price: Vape pens are a cheaper option than box mods because they're smaller and less complex devices. Box mods are more expensive as they offer a vast array of features that allow you to refine your vaping experience precisely. However, the latter is more suited to experienced vapers willing to invest more money in a device they can get the most out of.
- Battery: Battery design, power and lifetime are another aspect of vaping devices that differs. Due to their size and simplicity, vape pens offer less battery life and power than box mods. Thanks to their larger, clunkier design, box mods benefit from longer battery life as well as enhanced power.
- Wattage: Even though several vape pens offer a certain amount of wattage variation, box mods remain supreme when it comes to wattage control. Box mods have proved to be hugely popular among experienced vapers as they provide a more powerful throat hit and the ability to create large clouds (it looks super cool).
- Experience: Vapour cloud size and flavour are two vital factors when consumers choose between vape pens and box mods. Vape pens are best suited to those who enjoy a decent flavour while vaping discretely and as simply as possible. Box mods offer a more powerful flavour and the ability to produce large clouds, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Vape pens are essentially the go-to for a smoking-like experience (casual users), whereas box mods reign supreme for flavours and impressively enormous clouds (vaping enthusiasts).
Should I choose a vape pen or box mod?
At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference and what type of vaping experience you’re looking for. As we’ve mentioned above, vape pens offer a simple yet effective way for everyday vapers to get a great taste and the nicotine hit they need. Thanks to the wide range of e-juices available, it’s easy enough to try different flavours and a variety of strengths to tailor your vaping experience to suit your needs perfectly.
However, if you are more of an enthusiast and experienced vaper who likes to enhance every aspect of your vaping experience, box mods will be your best bet. With a more advanced range of features, it’s possible to tweak your device to increase power, heat, battery life and much more. Oh, and with a box mod, you’ll be able to create those colossal vapour clouds that seem to be quite the party trick these days.